As the days get longer and start to warm up, it’s time to start thinking about getting your pool ready for those hot, summer nights. Taking a dip in the evening is a great way to unwind after a long day, cool down before bed, and enjoy the stars sparkling in the night sky.
It’s important to make sure that your pool and the area around it can safely be used at night. You need secure fencing and a gate, especially if you have children, and proper safety and first-aid equipment on hand. It’s also important that your pool area is well-lit. In this article, we’ll cover the basics of pool lighting and why it’s so important to keep you and your family safe.
Why is pool lighting for safety so important?
There are several reasons why safety lighting in your pool is so important. One thing that’s very important to remember is that you don’t just need to light up your pool, but also the area around it. The tiling and walkways around the pool, as well as the pathway from your home to your pool, should also be lit. Here are some of the reasons why pool lighting for safety isn’t something you can ignore:
- Prevents slips and falls. The area around the pool can become very wet and slippery, especially at night. A well-lit pool area makes it easier to see where you are walking and prevents slips or falls.
- Creates a clear path to and from the pool. Walking from your house to your pool can be a challenge at night when it’s dark and you’re wearing flip-flops or sandals. Lighting clears the path to your pool and makes it easier to walk back and forth.
- Prevents injuries in the pool at night. If you’re swimming or playing in your pool at night, it can be difficult to see what’s around you. Pool lighting can help you get in and out of the pool safely, and avoid bumping into the walls of the pool while swimming.
Top tips for safe pool lighting
If you’re getting ready to install lighting around your pool, there are a few things to keep in mind first:
- Light the entire area. Don’t just focus on installing lighting inside your pool, light the area around the pool and the walkway to your house as well.
- Consider motion lights. Motion lights are a great option for pool walkways because they only come on when you need them, saving on your power bill.
- Use automatic timers. Timers not only let you control when your pool lights are on and off, but also act as security lighting for peace of mind when you’re not at home.
Trust your pool lighting to the experts
Installing lighting in your pool and the area around it is something that’s best left to the experts. At Houston Lightscapes , we have over 30 years of industry experience. Our professional team can install pool lighting that will both keep your family safe and elevate your outdoor areas to create a beautiful evening ambiance.
Contact us for a free consultation to discuss your pool lighting project today!